The International Life Saving Federation’s World Conference on Drowning Prevention (WCDP) will be held at the Perth Conference and Exhibition Centre, Western Australia from 4-7 December 2023.
This globally significant event will focus world attention on drowning prevention. WCDP 2023 will gather experts in drowning prevention, lifesaving and water safety with the goal of Shaping Global Strategy and Mobilising for Action.
The conference is being held at a time of great momentum for drowning prevention.
- United Nations General Assembly Resolution on Global Drowning Prevention in 2021
- World Health Assembly will debate a draft resolution on Drowning Prevention.
- World Health Organization has announced plans to develop the first ever Global Status Report on Drowning Prevention
- World Health Organization has announced plans to establish a Global Partnership for Drowning Prevention in 2023.
The conference themes reflect the challenges and opportunities of reducing drowning in all communities, nations, and regions.
- Measuring and mapping the drowning burden
- Addressing drowning prevention in life stages and populations
- Addressing drowning prevention in activities and occupational settings
- Advancing drowning prevention through policy, partnerships and planning
- Showcasing world-leading advances in coastal safety
- Showcasing world-leading advances in aquatic industry leisure management
- Showcasing world-leading swimming and water safety education
- Advancing the science medical treatment and issues in drowning and aquatic injury
- Confronting the challenges of disaster and climate change
- Advancing drowning prevention in global health and development agendas
- Fostering innovation in response to emerging challenges and opportunities
This is the first time the World Conference on Drowning Prevention has been hosted in Australia.
Co-hosts, the Royal Life Saving Society – Australia (RLSS) and Surf Life Saving Australia (SLSA) are immensely proud and eager to welcome the global community to Perth, embracing them with everything that is impactful about Australian approaches to water safety and drowning prevention.
The conference will be a week-long experience including pre and post-workshops, field trips and masterclasses beginning on Friday 1 December and culminating on Friday 8 December 2023.